WHY is this skill important?
- Economic d再说 making helps students focus on making a choice BEFORE it is made
- It helps students be more thoughtful about all the possibilities and consequences before they make a choice
- Making a choice because the benefits outweigh the costs—has life-long benefits
- Considering past d再说s using the same thought processes helps to understand why the choice was made, and to critically evaluate whether it was a good one. 它可以
- viewed from their perspective at the time
- viewed in hindsight, from your perspective, what would you have done then—or now
Using Economic D再说-making Models to Become Informed D再说-makers
The 2015 History/Social Science SOL added skills to be emphasized K-12 which include using d再说-making models to make informed d再说s.
three basic d再说 models
- Cost-Benefit D再说 Model: To decide whether or not to do something—when the choice is “yes” or “no”
- Cost-Benefit D再说 Tree:To help decide between two choices. In essence, it combines two Cost-Benefit models
- PACED D再说 Model: Used when there are various options/alternatives but also certain things/criteria that are important to you. P的问题; Alternatives; Criteria; Evaluate; and D再说
Lesson for an example using PACED: “What Pet Should I Get?” Dr. Seuss and D再说 Making published on EconEdLink.org
Which of the three d再说 models you use depends on whether the question/issue is basically “yes or no;” there are two alternatives or multiple alternatives. 点击这里 for an example of each.
K-5 Curriculum examples.
The more students practice the d再说-making skill, the greater likelihood it becomes intuitive and they will make more informed d再说s or be able to better analyze d再说s made by others.